THE BIBLE WAS WRITTEN TO BE UNDERSTOOD
A. REGARDING THE OLD TESTAMENT... It was written for our learning - Ro 15:4
1. Jesus expected people to understand it ("Have you not read...?") - Mt 12:3,5; 19:4
2. Paul expected unbelieving Jews to understand it - Ac 17:2-3
3. Timothy understood much of it as a child - 2 Ti 3:14-15
-- With the aid of the New Testament, what was a mystery in the Old Testament can now be understood!
B. REGARDING THE NEW TESTAMENT... The writers expected their readers to understand
1. Luke wrote his gospel that one might know - Lk 1:1-4
2. John wrote his gospel that one might believe - Jn 20:30-31
3. Paul wrote for people to understand, to have his knowledge - 2 Co 1:13; Ep 3:3-5
4. John wrote his epistle that one might know - 1 Jn 5:13
-- The New Testament was written to be understood, though in progressive stages
GOD EXPECTS US TO UNDERSTAND THE BIBLE
C. HE EXPECTS US TO UNDERSTAND HIS WILL...
1. He desires all men to come to a knowledge of the truth - 1 Ti 2:3-4
2. He commands it of His children - Ep 5:17
-- Would God desire and command that which is impossible?
[Yet many do not understand the Bible. Why...?]
THE REAL REASONS...
1. Many make little or no effort
* They rarely read and study the Bible, they therefore remain ignorant
* They remain babes in their knowledge and understanding
2. Many study for the wrong reasons They may spend a lot of time studying, but with improper motives
* To prove themselves right (reading only to justify their conduct or beliefs)
* To prove others wrong (reading only to find arguments to support their position)
3. Many fail to apply their God-given common sense
* Like looking up words they don't understand
* Like defining words in their context
* Like taking into consideration all that God's word says on a subject
* Like Such as studying the Bible the way it was written
1) Book by book, chapter by chapter, verse by verse
2) Starting at the beginning, reading through to the end
-- The problem is not with God's Word; the problem is slothful, sloppy handling of God's word - 2 Ti 2:15