Tuesday, June 27, 2017

What is in a Name


Solomon
2 Samuel 12:24  And David comforted Bathsheba his wife, and went in unto her, and lay with her: and she bare a son, and he called his name Solomon: and the LORD loved him.

Far away in the depths of my spirit tonight
Rolls a melody sweeter than psalm;
In celestial-like strains it unceasingly falls
O’er my soul like an infinite calm.

And I know when I rise to that city of peace,
Where the Author of peace I shall see,
That one strain of the anthems

 the ransomed will sing,
In that heavenly kingdom shall be:

Peace! peace! wonderful peace,
Coming down from the Father above;
Sweep over my spirit forever, I pray,
In fathomless billows of love.

This is one of my favorite songs of all time and was written by William Cornell a Methodist minister of the late 1800’s. Our thought today is concerning the name of Solomon. David had sinned with Bathsheba and her world was literally turned upside down. Her husband, Uriah had been killed in battle and then her baby had died. David took her into the palace and she became his wife. The Bible says “David comforted Bathsheba.” I cannot imagine how hard he tried to comfort her after all that had happened. When she had this new son David called his name Solomon which means “peace” or “peaceful.” After the turmoil of sin and tragedy, peace came to her. A phrase at the end of our text says, “And the Lord loved him.” God showed His favor on Solomon. David had been a man of war but now Solomon comes as a king of peace and peacefulness.

Thought: Many times in our life the Lord provides peace in the midst of great trials and troubles.

No comments:

Post a Comment