WHAT ARE THE FACTS ABOUT GOD'S LOVE
1 John 4:7-12
There is nothing like the love of God! It is the most overwhelming thing I have ever encountered in my life. It is the greatest thing God ever did for any of us! The reason I can say that is this, because He loved us, He was moved to do everything else that He has done. John's epistle has a 4-fold purpose.
That our joy might be full. (1:4)
That we might not sin. (2:1)
That we might know that we have eternal life. (5:13)
That we ourselves might love others.(4:11)
1 John is the great book of love. It is mentioned 46 times in 135 verses. It was written to combat a heresy known as Gnosticism. The Gnostic believed that knowledge was power. They felt that they had a special knowledge of God and His ways. John is writing to put them into their place! And, as he does, he tells the rest of us about a great God with a great love for great sinners.
What Are The Facts About God's Love.
1. vs 7-11 THIS LOVE IS DESCRIBED IN THE CONTEXT
A. It Is Unspeakable - I can't understand it, or why, but I know I have experienced it and I can never be separated from it - Rom 8:38-39
B. It Is Unending - Jer. 31:3…I have loved you with an everlasting love! God's love is eternal!
C. It Is Unselfish - It asks for nothing in return! However, it leads man to repent and turn to God in love - Rom 2:4; 1 John 4:19- We love him because He first loved us!
D. It Is Unmerited - Cannot be earned or deserved! (Is based in His grace!)
E. It Is Unconditional - It is not based on what we can or cannot produce, it comes from the heart of God. Man can never reach a place when he will not be loved by God!
F. His love is Supernatural, it is Sacrificing, it is Satisfying!
2. vs10 THIS LOVE WAS DEMONSTRATED AT CALVARY
A. God's love can never be fully understood, but it can be seen! It is best seen at the cross!
B. He Stood In The Gap - 2 Cor. 5:21- For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him!………….HE TOOK YOUR PLACE!
C. He Saved Us From Hell - It is His death on the cross that opened the door of salvation for every sinner who will come to God. 1 Pet. 1:18-19;
Eph. 1:7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace!; Col. 1:14 in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins. Rev 1:5 To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood!
Thank God for the Blood of the Lord Jesus!!!!!
3. vs11-12 THIS LOVE IS DISPLAYED IN THE CHRISTIAN
A. It will be visible if it is possessed!
B. Throughout the Bible, there have been men who demonstrated God's love:
1. Forgiving Love - Joseph - Gen. 45:1-8……lied about, sold as a slave, ripped from his home and father, falsely accused. put in prison, waiting waiting waiting all because of his jealous brothers!……..YET HE STILL FORGAVE…………………What’s your hangup?
2. Redeeming Love - Hosea - Hos. 3:1-3…wife named Gomer…..a prostitute….yet!!….what redeeming love!
3. Compassionate Love – Peter denied Him ..lied about Him…..Yet Jesus still used him!
4. Healing Love Me...angry…bitter…jealous...burning with lust…Yet Jesus still reached down and picked me up out of the sewer! Psa103:1-4
C. God’s love in the believer will be visible in 5 different areas.
1. Love For The Savior (John 14:15 If you love me keep my commandments!) (Ephesus - Rev. 2:4 you have left your first love!…)
2. Love For The Scriptures……………… (John 5:39)
3. Love For The Sanctuary (Heb. 10:25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another and so much more as you see the day approaching……)
(David - Psa 122:1 I was glad when they said to me, let us go into the house of the lord!)
4. Love For The Saints (1 John 4:20-21; 1 John 5:1-3) When the saints walk in love, then God will be seen!)
5. Love For The Sinners -. Jesus had a heart for sinners - (God's love is more than just being loved! It is opening our lives so that the Lord can love through us. So that He can reach a world for Himself.)
We ought to praise the Lord today for His overwhelming love! We can shout, we can run, we can turn flips and act like monkeys, but the best means we have of thanking Him for His love is by letting Him love through our lives and reach others for Jesus.